Youngblood is a song recorded by Australian rock band 5 Seconds of Summer. It was written by Calum Hood, Ali Tamposi, Andrew Watt, Ashton Irwin and Luke Hemmings, with production handled by Watt and Louis Bell. The song was released via Capitol Records on 12 April 2018, as the second single from their third studio album of the same name.
Background and Release
- The song was initially released as an instant download track with the pre-order of the album, but was later released as a single. Ashton Irwin has said that he
"loved that new wave could be really melancholy, but also up. It had romanticism and anger, but also energy and colour. That's exactly what we wanted for our new music."
- The song was released without any warning to fans.
- It reached number one in Australia in May 2018, becoming the band's second number-one single in their home country.
- It spent eight consecutive weeks at the top, before being replaced by Drake's "In My Feelings".
- It also reached number one in New Zealand in June 2018 and spent four consecutive weeks at the top.
- The single reached the top five of music charts in ten countries.
- The first audio video for the single was released on 16 April 2018 through the band's VEVO channel, and an hour later was removed for an unknown reason.
- An "alternative" music video for the song was released on the band's YouTube channel on 26 April 2018 and as of 28 July 2018 has had over 50 million views.
- The song's official music video was released on 2 August 2018. Directed by Frank Borin, the video was filmed in Tokyo, and tells the story of an elderly couple in their final moments, having a flashback of their youth, which dives into the Japanese Rockabilly culture.
- Youngblood, was performed as the last song of the Meet You There Tour.
- On 20 April 2018, 5SOS released the audio video on their channel
- On 26 April 2018, 5SOS released an alternative music video.
- On 2 August 2018, 5SOS released the official video.
- On 7 June 2018, 5SOS preformed live on The Voice Australia.
- On 12 June 2018, 5SOS performed live on BBC Radio 1’s Live Lounge.
- On 22 June 2018, 5SOS performed live on The Today Show’s Summer Concert Series.
|Australia (ARIA)||3x Platinum||210,000^|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Platinum||30,000*|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000‡|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000‡|
|*sales figures based on certification alone
^shipments figures based on certification alone
‡sales+streaming figures based on certification alone
Credits and Personal
Calum Hood – composition, vocals, bass guitar
Ashton Irwin – composition, vocals, drums
Luke Hemmings – composition, vocals, rhythm guitar
Michael Clifford – lead guitar, vocals
Ali Tamposi – composition
Andrew Watt – composition, production
Louis Bell – production.
|June 15, 2018 • 49:53 • Capitol Records and Hi or Hey Records|
|Standard Album||Youngblood • Want You Back • Lie To Me • Valentine • Talk Fast • Moving Along • If Walls Could Talk • Better Man • More • Why Won't You Love Me • Woke Up In Japan • Empty Wallets • Ghost Of You|
|Deluxe Album||Monster Among Men • Meet You There • Babylon|
|Target Exclusive||When You Walk Away • Best Friend|
|5SOS III Tour • Meet You There Tour|
- ↑ Altpress - Hear 5 Seconds Of Summer’s Addictive New Song, “YOUNGBLOOD”
- ↑ Ariacharts - 5sos Score Second #1 With Youngblood
- ↑ Nztop40 - Official Top 40 Singles
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Youtube - Alternative Music Video
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Youtube - Official Music Video
- ↑ Rollingstone - Watch 5 Seconds of Summer Shred on New Song, ‘Youngblood’
- ↑ Youtube - Performance on The Voice Australia
- ↑ Youtube - Performance on BBC Radio 1’s Live Lounge
- ↑ Youtube - Performance on The Today Show